OLPC XO 1.75 replace one of the 3 usb port with a mini hdmi

John Watlington wad at laptop.org
Thu Nov 8 10:22:18 EST 2012

On Jan 19, 2011, at 6:48 AM, Andrew Puch wrote:

> Is the cost and form factor viable to replace one of the external usb
> ports with a mini hdmi Type C or D port ?

Yes.   We finally took your suggestion on XO-4.

> When students or teacher give talks it would be nice for them to show to
> the class on the tv what they are doing.

> The type hdmi 1.4 , D connector is 2.8 mm × 6.4 mm, where as the hdmi
> 1.3 type C connector is 2.42 mm × 10.42 mm; for comparison, a micro-USB
> connector is 2.94 mm × 7.8 mm and usb a is 11.5 mm × 4.5 mm.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HDMI#Connectors
>
> Looks like the  ARMADA 610 has support for hdmi 1.3
> http://www.slashgear.com/marvell-armada-610-app-processor-1080p-hdmi-3d-graphics-more-0567682/

As does it's successor, the PXA2128, used in the XO-4 and XO-4 Touch.

> Also I hope there is a give1get1 one for this machine along with a nice
> touch screen :)

There is a touchscreen on the XO-4 Touch.   We are thinking of ways to
increase availability of these.

> Maybe a usb header on the motherboard, along with pcie mini card a boy
> can dream.

There is a spare USB port on the motherboard, although it is accessible
on resistor pads, not a connector.   Sorry about the mini-PCIe --- we
use that connector for the WLAN but it only has SDIO and USB.

Cheers,
wad