legousbtower kernel module

Alan Jhonn Aguiar Schwyn alanjas at hotmail.com
Tue May 8 17:29:01 EDT 2012

> Date: Tue, 8 May 2012 14:37:29 -0400
> Subject: Re: legousbtower kernel module
> From: walter.bender at gmail.com
> To: bert at freudenbergs.de
> CC: dsd at laptop.org; devel at lists.laptop.org; alanjas at hotmail.com; aaguirre at fing.edu.uy
>
> On Tue, May 8, 2012 at 2:30 PM, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> >> I can talk to NXT and WeDo without the kernel mode... just some udev
> >> rules as per:
> >>
> >> https://github.com/itdaniher/WeDoMore/tree/master/udev
> >>
> >> I think these rules are already in place??? (haven't tested on 12.x.x)
> >
> > RCX 1.0 = Infrared via serial (launched 1998)
> > RCX 2.0 = Infrared via USB tower (2001)
> > NXT = Bluetooth (2006)
> > WeDO = USB (2009)
> >
> > The "legousbtower" module is needed for the RCX 2.0 Infrared Tower.
> >
> > Including a udev rule might be a good idea though. Currently it is provided by the "nqc" rpm.
> >
> > OTOH, there is no Sugar activity that uses the RCX, AFAIK. Worse, I don't even know any graphical Linux application to talk to the RCX. Do you?
>
> Will ask the Butia team. They may have done something.

We use the Butia 1.0 with arduino board. For it, we don't need any special thing, because itis used with the usb like a serial device.
The 2.0 version of Butia, uses a PIC18F.. that we need a udev rules.Someone like this:
BUS=="usb", ATTRS{idVendor}=="04d8", ATTRS{idProduct}=="000[bc]", MODE="0666"
The latest build of Sugar have the udev for WeDo.Could be added the NXT rules.
In other way, the problem with Lego is the Bluetooth dongle.The kernel not have the bluetooth kernel.
Would be interesting have the kernel module in some place, and if someone want to use it,is only download and insert...