Checking filesystems periodically

Chris Ball cjb at laptop.org
Fri May 4 10:15:58 EDT 2012

Hi,

On Fri, May 04 2012, Daniel Drake wrote:
> Until F17 we haven't had a good way of communicating this via the boot
> animation. Now we can do that easily but it lacks implementation.
>
> Thirdly, fsck is not magic. It cannot detect/repair all corruption. As
> far as I know, we have not yet found a case of corruption which can be
> meaningfully fixed by fsck. We did do quite a bit of testing for this
> at an earlier point.

Also, our users cannot be expected to understand (or obey) a requirement
that they not turn off the machine while it's doing something dangerous:
so if powering down half way through fsck leaves the filesystem in a
worse state than it was before fsck ran, we probably shouldn't do it
at all.

- Chris.
--
Chris Ball   <cjb at laptop.org>   <http://printf.net/>