Switching to randomly generated hostnames

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed May 2 12:35:38 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 12:14 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
> I think they would just point out that the solution we're working
> towards is the wrong approach. That is, we're requiring the hardware
> to be connected at boot for it to be used. If you connect it after
> boot, nothing happens.

Mbwa-ha-ha. Well, we need xorg to be hotpluggable. Here's a new gpu,
pretty please migrate that display from this device to this other
device, changing the geometry along the way.

> And how can we make this hotpluggable? This is probably the right
> question to ask upstream. I suspect the answer will involve the
> multi-seat support which has improved enormously in recent months.

Well, multi-seat brings up a new xorg process for every addn'l seat,
conveniently sidestepping the issue.

The right fix, according to the gospel, is likely to be "rework xorg
and all of the relevant drivers to support device hot plugging". Which
does not make sense for us at this stage in a cost-benefit analysis.

We need to find additional examples. Ie: if you have a slow-to-appear
mountpoint for /home, you don't want to "hotplug" /home.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions