[Sugar-devel] Wanting to know a bit of (NetworkManager) workflow upon resume-from-suspend

Jon Nettleton jon.nettleton at gmail.com
Wed May 2 05:21:45 EDT 2012

On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 10:42 AM, Martin Langhoff
<martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, May 2, 2012 at 4:07 AM, Martin Abente
> <martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I think (guessing by the responses) the original problem here is that, if
>> you disable the mesh AFTER NM has taken the device, NM crashes. This a
>> regression bug, considering that this didn't happened in fedora-11 based
>> builds.
>
> The timings in F11 builds were completely different. Maybe you were
> winning the race that you're now losing.
>
>> So the solution here is to find another place to place the script, where it
>> guarantee that the script will be executed before NM does its job at resume
>> time.
>
> udev script :-) -- I am pretty sure you can number yourself lower (to
> run earlier) than the udev script that fires off the "new device"
> event to NM.
>
>> Another solution is to find out why NM crashes now and why didn't before,
>> but I wouldn't go that way.
>
> Making NM completely resilient to these race conditions is probably a hard task.

This is also a temporary solution.  There is a kernel patch in 3.1 and
greater kernels that allows you to disable mesh as a kernel module
parameter.

I just played around with the udev script and there definitely seems
to be some timing issues even with that.

-Jon