Switching to randomly generated hostnames

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed May 2 03:32:23 EDT 2012

Using the wireless device MAC address as the basis of the hostname seems
wrong to me.  It is an overload of meaning.  It also has an impact if
the wireless device is changed.

I'm also amused that the hostname needs to be unique, but that is
probably a different issue.

If the need for it to be unique can't be avoided, then at least set it
based on serial number.  That at least is available very soon after
boot, in /proc/device-tree/ or /ofw/, and we have utilities for
accessing it.

Like the wireless device MAC address, the serial number may also change,
so the code must be able to cope with this too.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/