XO-1.75 OpenFirmware serial terminal

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Mar 29 17:43:42 EDT 2012

On Thu, Mar 29, 2012 at 02:04:21PM +0200, Bert Freudenberg wrote:
> On 29.03.2012, at 08:07, James Cameron wrote:
>
> > I agree with Mitch, the size of it is insignificant.  Even without any
> > tuning and integration with existing code, the dictionary only grows by
> > about 2400 bytes for the 5248 byte source file.
> >
> > If you think it will be useful, we can add it.
>
> Seems rather useful. And a "dumb" crossover cable is way easier to
> make than finding a serial adaptor.

Indeed.  Paperclips and adhesive tape.  ;-}

> Serial communication is supposed to be simple. It seems so obvious in
> retrospect that one has to wonder why this hasn't been in from the
> beginning ;)

Speculation: the test instrument needs to be trusted, and separate from
the class of devices under test.

For me, it was lack of low powered test instruments that caused me to
look into it.  I got it working first by reconfiguring a Linux to not
use the serial port as console, and using screen.  But that was
irritating to set up each time.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/