Disable mesh

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 29 07:54:52 EDT 2012

On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 10:38 AM, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:

> On Wed, 2012-03-28 at 10:17 -0400, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> > Folks:
> >
> > If one never uses mesh in a 15-20 group XO-1 classroom environment,
> > but always uses AP's, is there any appreciable benefit to disabling
> > mesh completely - perhaps to reduce chatter or power usage?
> >
> > I have read one can use the following to do so, if desired:
> >
> > echo 0 > /sys/class/net/eth0/lbs_mesh
> >

> > and put it into the rc.local if one wants to persist this state.
> >
> > Opinions welcome.  :-)
>
> You would have use powerd's postresume.d hooks to disable that after a
> suspend cycle. Have a look at how dextrose does that:
>
> http://download.sugarlabs.org/dextrose/testing/dx3/rpms/source/dextrose-platform-2-2.fc14.src.rpm

Thanks for the reply.  I need to give you more information :-)

In this particular use-case, in this setting, on all of the XO's, both
power saving check-boxes are turned off.  The screen may dim if someone
walks away for a while, but the machines never suspend, nor do the students
want them too. They are used performing measurements and transmitting the
results, until they run out of battery.  The question really is: would we
have any better network performance or gain any more time with better power
conservation if mesh was completely disabled.  And, if so,  does that
little command above perform that completely.

Cheers

KG