[Sugar-devel] Patch: Mobile dongles

forster at ozonline.com.au forster at ozonline.com.au
Wed Mar 28 02:04:45 EDT 2012

Paul

Keeping the dongle powered also happens with automatic power management on the 1.75 (ie 15 seconds with no input). Same problem though, keyboard or trackpad input to wake up powers down the dongle.

It takes 35 seconds for the dongle to appear in the frame, then user input is required, more waiting, a total time of 65 seconds to make a connection.

The Huawei is rated at <= 500mA or 2.5W. That is presumably a peak rating, it is slightly warm to touch, my guess 1W or a little less average. I think not worth keeping powered during power switch initiated sleep.

You say "the hardware control is all or none' I took that to mean all 3 USB ports, but in suspend, it has the memory stick light out but the dongle light on. (the light may respond to data as well as power).

There is a case for powering the USB ports whenever a USB device is connected (automatic power management suspend not power switch initated sleep), it is impossible to know the characteristics of every USB device and whether they will recover gracefully to power interuption. If the user wanted best battery life they wouldnt leave a power hungry USB device plugged in.

Tony