Fedora 18 features that could effect xo-1

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Fri Jun 22 12:56:03 EDT 2012

Hi Dennis,

On Wed, Jun 20, 2012 at 4:30 PM, Dennis Gilmore <dennis at ausil.us> wrote:
> there are two features that work together for Fedora 18
>
> The first aims to reduce the size of debuginfo data on disk
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/DwarfCompressor
>
> the second intends to include a minimal amout of debuginfo by default
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MiniDebugInfo
>
> the result is that images will likely be slightly larger.  Its not
> known how much bigger it would be it seems like it would be somewhat
> minimal.
>
> Id like for some feedback from the OLPC side of the fence. biggest
> impact would be on the XO-1 where storage is smallest.

Thanks for consulting with us about this.
We had already discussed it a little internally, with Peter prompting us.

The outcome of our discussion was that we don't want this size
increase, not on any of our platforms. But actually we see it as a
significant downside for all small systems, not just ours. The wiki
page mentions 43mb growth - that would be really painful.

So, if this goes ahead, we'd need a way to easily and cleanly turn it
off. The adoption of the "minidebuginfo in separate packages" proposed
implementation on the feature page looks like it would achieve this.

Thanks
Daniel