12.1.0 release candidate 2 (build 15) released

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Jun 21 13:30:27 EDT 2012

Hi,

We're pleased to announce the next release candidate of our new 12.1.0
software release.

Information and installation instructions can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/12.1.0

Quick links for those who know which files need to be grabbed and save
to USB disks:
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.75/os/candidate/12.1.0-15/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.5/os/candidate/12.1.0-15/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/candidate/12.1.0-15/

This is a signed release candidate that can be installed on all XOs,
even those with security enabled.

We're looking for testing and feedback on all aspects of the system.
Thanks for any help you can offer, and for all the feedback that was
received throughout development.

Our scheduled release date is July 9th.

Please review the "Known problems" section of the release notes. Some
documented issues are carried over from previous releases, but others
are new and are things that we will aim to fix in the few weeks before
release.

Compared to 12.1.0 release candidate 1 (build 14), we have fixed and changed:

.usb update files are now provided for olpc-update offline upgrade.
Please note the need to rename them when upgrading from pre-2012
releases, as detaled in the release notes.

Browse updated to v140:
SL#3622 Display the filename for untitled PDFs stored in the Journal
SL#3620 Unset "loading..." message when the loading fails
SL#3619 Fix for displaying "Untitled" when the page has no title
SL#3597 Fix for displaying filename in untitled PDFs
Alongside a webkitgtk3 update, the Journal file-chooser is
re-implemented for file uploads.

Clock updated to v9:
SL#3668 Translations fixed
SL#3687 No longer always uses English spoken accent for talking clock

Jukebox rolled back to v23:
The playlist functionality was found to be a bit incomplete, so we've
moved back to a more simplistic older version that was shipped in
previous releases
Fixes SL#3628 Jukebox cannot open ALSA output device

Scratch updated to v23:
SL#3604 Fix camera support

Terminal updated to v39
Translations fixed
#11836 Ctrl-Z in Terminal is ignored

XO-1.75 firmware updated to Q4D17
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Firmware_q4d17

XO-1.5 firmware updated to Q3C07
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Firmware_q3c07

XO-1 updated to Q2F12
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/OLPC_Firmware_q2f12

olpc-runin-tests updated
Fixes #11761 runin-battery does not complete full cycle for 2 hour run-in

olpc-utils updated
#11933 Fix vmeta device node permissions
#11937 Fix 3rd mouse button emulation in GNOME

metacity and sugar updated:
#11781 Alt+click does not work in home view to start new

olpc-update updated:
#11946 "olpc-update --usb" looks for file in wrong place

Empathy (GNOME IM client) was removed: it is broken as it has moved to
technologies that require OpenGL.
More info: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11929#comment:6

Nautilus (GNOME file browser) no longer complains about a missing
eject program when unmounting media (#11938)

Thanks!