On XO-1.5 with 11.3.0/11.3.1 -- hang during shutdown?

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Thu Jun 21 00:37:35 EDT 2012

On 16 June 2012 17:08, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> That means the hang should not exceed 15 seconds.  Is this what you
> find?  If not, then this casts doubt on your solution.

I'm going to propose something extremely hackish: can we have the XO
perform a hard power-off if the software shutdown sequence does not
complete within 30 seconds? Ideally this would be managed by some kind
of hardware watchdog, but maybe there's a cheap-and-nasty version we
can implement in software.

The problem we want to eliminate is that XOs are being told to
shutdown and are then closed and placed in an XOP charging rack. If an
XO does not actually turn off and remains on while in the rack and
charging, it has the potential to overheat. We have seen cases where
XOs get so hot that the plastic on the touchpad and even on the outer
casing becomes warped. If a problem like that becomes widespread, it
can be *major* for us.

I understand that it's not the most elegant solution, but from a
deployment perspective we need a failsafe to protect the hardware.

Sridhar

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Engineering Manager
One Laptop per Child Australia