On XO-1.5 with 11.3.0/11.3.1 -- hang during shutdown?

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 03:50:36 EDT 2012

On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 3:43 AM, Anish Mangal <anish at sugarlabs.org> wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 9, 2012 at 2:22 AM, Walter Bender <walter.bender at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Tue, Jun 5, 2012 at 10:37 AM, Martin Langhoff <martin at laptop.org> wrote:
>>> Hi folks,
>>>
>>> the Dextrose team has been hunting a bug on XO-1.5, on their variant
>>> of 11.3.x ("Dextrose 3" or DX3), and they are pointing out that it
>>> could be a latent or unreported problem in 11.3.x series. It could
>>> also be a problem in their modifications.
>>>
>>> While they continue to investigate, it is important to hear whether
>>> anyone has seen XO-1.5s handing during shutdown, on the "Warnings"
>>> screen.
>>>
>>>  - It seems to affect some units, not all. So far it has been seen on
>>> 3 units with SN starting with SHC037 .
>>>
>>>  - Units affected show the symptoms 2 out of 5 boots.
>>>
>>>  - Seems to be related to umount of /home failing. Adding sync ; sleep
>>> 2; before umount seems to cure it; that's their current workaround.
>>>
>>>  - Their debugging adventures are documented at
>>> http://dev.laptop.org.au/issues/1033
>>>
>>>  - They will be checking whether the symptoms follow the microSD card
>>> or the motherboard, swapping microSD with a "good" unit.
>>>
>>> Why is this important? When the unit hangs during shutdown, it is left
>>> in a condition where it can overheat, potentially damaging the unit.
>>>
>>> The bottom line: have you seen this issue on XO-1.5 + 11.3.x? Even if
>>> ocassionally? Let us know, and join the bug-hunting party.
>>>
>>> cheers,

>>> --
>>>  martin at laptop.org -- Software Architect - OLPC
>>>  - ask interesting questions
>>>  - don't get distracted with shiny stuff  - working code first
>>>  - http://wiki.laptop.org/go/User:Martinlanghoff
>>
>> While I haven't seen the exact symptoms described here, I have seen
>> some problems here in Chachapoyas. XO 1.5s running 11.3.1. It seems
>> that machines that are running for quite some time with very active
>> use eventually hang. I grabbed some longs from a Browse session, which
>> seems to be the activity running when the crashes happen, but looking
>> at the logs, it seems to be something failing at a lower level. See
>> http://bugs.sugarlabs.org/ticket/3678
>>
>> Also, at times, Restart fails to restart.
>>

> In our specific case (of this problem on an XO-1.5 running dx3), the
> hang was occurring even when almost no activity was done, i.e. start
> the XO, wait for sugar boot, shutdown the XO.

Does dx3 have a different partition for /home as part of the standard
dx3 build? If so I vaguely remember a hang issue on shutdown on
generic F-14 with separate /home but F-14 was a while ago so I'm not
sure but it might be worthwhile doing a google / bugzilla search of
mainline Fedora bugs/lists/wiki to see if it was a general problem
that was fixed upstream.

Peter