12.1.0 devel build 13 released, for the XO-1, XO-1.5 and XO-1.75

Samuel Greenfeld greenfeld at laptop.org
Fri Jun 8 20:40:27 EDT 2012

Due to a missing character in a change to olpc-os-builder[*], 12.1.0 os13
builds do not have any working Linux console terminals, and will repeatedly
try to set permissions on the /dev directory to 0600 (root-only read/write)
while trying to restart said terminals.

This permissions change on /dev will then break a lot of applications and
scripts.

To fix this, try to get into a Terminal program in Sugar or GNOME as fast
as you can, or use the serial port console (which is not time-restricted).

Then:

   1. As root or via sudo, edit the /usr/lib/systemd/system/getty at .service
   file.  Change the line:

   ExecStart=-/sbin/mingetty --loginpause --autologin root --noclear %

   to read

   ExecStart=-/sbin/mingetty --loginpause --autologin root --noclear %I

   by adding the capital letter "I" onto the end of the string.

   2. Run "sudo systemctl restart getty at tty2.service".  Repeat this
   replacing "tty2" with "tty3", then "tty4".

   3. Run "sudo chmod 755 /dev".

   4. Reboot your XO via the "reboot" command or the GUI to make sure
   nothing is hung waiting on something in the /dev directory.

[*]
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-os-builder/commit/?id=a9b4e062c9cbe809b26d97264068a6bc5c2e2824