XO battery/performance [Devel Digest, Vol 76, Issue 4]

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Sat Jun 2 02:21:46 EDT 2012

> I don't see anything that looks obviously wrong.  So
> here's a test to
> see if the EC is going to sleep or not.  Run the
> battery down to where
> the red LED is active.  Then power off the
> laptop.  If the EC goes into
> stop mode the red LED should go out after a few
> seconds.  If you press a
> game button the EC should wake up briefly and the led will
> turn back on
> then in a few seconds go back out.

This battery is really strange...
After an O/N with the battery out of the XO tried to run it down and suddenly none of the info in /sys/devices/0.baterry/power_supply/olpc-battery/ was changing after an hour of CPU burn and the battery was showing as "Full"
Shutdown and removing the battery to reset the EC, made it behaved. The battery started from 35% and dropped normally thereafter.

As per the suggested test, indeed after shutting down at 9% with the red led on, pressing a game key lights up the red led for ~2 sec.

> > What was striking was that the XO-1.75 used 25% of the
> battery for 1 run while the XO-1.5 used 65% of the battery!
>
> If you are going to do more of this then you really need a
> better tool
> than just the battery SOC measurement.

I usually look either at the ~/power-logs/pwr-* or directly at /sys/..../power_supply/olpc-battery/* to check battery status

> olpc-pwr-log
> can sample the
> information on a periodic basis and then my processing
> scripts can run
> through those logs and produce various reports.
>
> All of my tools are in my olpc-pwrlogs repo
>
> git://dev.laptop.org/users/rsmith/olpc-pwrlogs
>
> Let me know if you are interested and want to know how to
> use the tools.

Sure.
I can understand some bash scripting but python is out of my league, so please advise.