Retina display

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at
Fri Jul 27 21:36:36 EDT 2012

The phrase "retina display" is being used a lot these days. My reading
indicates that the vendor uses this term quite loosely [1]. There you
can see that the definition currently ranges from 326 to 220 ppi.

The resolution of the XO's display is listed as 200 dpi [2], which is
not far off. If I have understood correctly, "dpi" in the context of
display technologies is the same thing as ppi [3].

Without infringing any trademarks, how closely could we say that the
XO's display is a "retina" one?

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Engineering Manager
One Laptop per Child Australia