Nandblasting not working in one xo

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Mon Jul 9 23:10:06 EDT 2012

That the antenna change did not work shows the problem is in the
wireless card.

You asked why not use the same mechanism as Sugar?

Consider the transmitter performance.

Your network used by Sugar probably has an access point with higher
transmit power and better antenna than the laptop being used as
NANDblaster sender.

So it is perhaps the combination of small damage to one laptop and
large damage to another laptop, that causes NANDblaster to fail.  But
the combination of good access point and large damage causes Sugar
networking to be successful.

See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Antenna_testing#Link_Budget for a
calculation of wireless success, to see what variables are important.

Does Sugar in ad-hoc wireless mode work between the two laptops?  Or
Sugar in mesh wireless mode with no other laptops nearby?

If so, that's very interesting.

Open Firmware and Linux use different commands sent to the wireless card.

I've checked, and we are using the same wireless firmware 5.110.22.p23
in both Open Firmware and Linux (build 883).

Daniel, do you know of any commands that the Linux kernel may have
sent to the card that may improve signal, even by accident?

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/