XO-1 cpu temperature [Devel Digest, Vol 71, Issue 43]

Yioryos Asprobounitis mavrothal at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 23 02:56:55 EST 2012

> > I was wondering if there is anyway to monitor the
> geode temperature on the XO-1.
> > I would like to test how far I can push it without
> ruining it.
>
> The CPU is protected by a thermal shutdown circuit it will
> shutdown
> before you cause any thermal damage.
>
> Unless you are trying hardware modifications I doubt you
> will do
> anything worse than these guys.
>
> http://www.olpcnews.com/forum/index.php?topic=2389.0
>
> What exact are you going to try and push?
>
> --
> Richard A. Smith  <richard at laptop.org>
> One Laptop per Child

Something worse than "these guys"! ;)

With the XO-1 being EOL some time now and the ones in the field aging some "dangerous playing" might not be unthinkable.
As you know kids are notorious for not "playing safe"...

The thing is that XO-1.5 has about twice the XO-1 processing power and is quite usable. So getting another 50%+ out of the XO-1 (albeit with risks) may keep it in stride with the new software versions a bit longer.
Of course I do realize that this should have nothing to do with OLPC, thus the vague questions ;)

But may be all this is irrelevant now as pushing  the XO-1 to 600MHz (extrapolating from "these guys") results in kernel panics and/or errors.

If this is because of the protection mechanisms I would appreciate if someone lets me know off-list (I promise not to tell) of a possible way around it.

Thanks