OLPC Policies Question Concerning Upgrading Default Installed Software

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 17:54:41 EST 2012

On Wed, Jan 11, 2012 at 5:21 PM,  <anthony at evolutionindesignz.com> wrote:
> In particular, we are having issues with XULRunner 1.9.1.9. We are
> considering unstalling this version and replacing it with XULRunner 8.0.

It'll probably break both Firefox and Sugar's Browse -- they are
tightly bound to the xulrunner version.

So nobody is stopping you, but you need to know quite a bit to rebuild
or upgrade all the dependent bits, and deal with the (likely
important) API changes.

The xulrunner API changes were so painful (according to people working
on Browse) that for future Sugar versions we are moving to webkit; we
are also dropping firefox on the Gnome side and switching to something
based on webkit.

You are free to take it, bit seems like a damn rocky road.

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions