[OLPC New Zealand] OLPC XO-3 on slashdot front page right now

Bert Freudenberg bert at freudenbergs.de
Mon Jan 9 07:46:49 EST 2012

On 09.01.2012, at 13:38, Walter Bender wrote:

> On Mon, Jan 9, 2012 at 6:11 AM, Tom Parker <tom at carrott.org> wrote:
>> On Sun, 2012-01-08 at 08:56 -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
>>> I agree with your "pragmatic argument", but... I am almost certain
>>> that what is being demoed on the XO-3.0 at CES is in fact Sugar
>>> running on Fedora.
>>
>> It looks to be all Sugar so far:
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1238R-QY31E
>> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wBin1tc4T5c
>>
>> Does the XO-3 have multitouch? Not knowing anything about where gnome
>> and sugar are going with tablet support, the first thing I think of is
>> the macbook touchpad gestures. Could they translate onto a tablet? That
>> could preserve the pointer-click-drag-scroll paradigm?
>>

> Hadn't seen the 2nd video yet. Alas Ed is showing some older versions
> of some of the activities (I'd made some changes to Turtle Art for
> example so that the toolbars fit on the smaller display and you can
> change numeric values w/o a keyboard. Still no complaints about seeing
> Sugar!!

How is Ed bringing up the Sugar frame? There appears to be no physical button at all (except for power).

Anyway, kudos to the engineers and designers! Love the 4:3 screen :) Not to mention 2 Watts and rear-camera and multiple charging options etc. ... now it's just ASMOP to make it awesome ;) Looks like I need to revisit the Etoys tablet port ...

- Bert -