Impacts of disabling Automatic Power Management

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at
Sat Feb 4 01:05:15 EST 2012

On Sat, Feb 4, 2012 at 12:28 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<sridhar at> wrote:
> 3G is a separate problem. We don't know yet what USB modems we'll be
> using, so we can't inhibit their USB IDs. Doing it through NM would be
> preferable. I've updated the tracker:

In that case, I can suggest that you implement a local NM hook.

When a network is brought up, or down, NM will execute scripts placed
in /etc/NetworkManager/dispatcher.d/ with parameters indicating device
and up/down.

A snippet of shell that adds/removes a powerd "inhibit" file 3g
connections are established/torn down will DTRT.

You can add this trivially locally, and if it's done nice and clean we
can include it in our next OS release :-)

 martin.langhoff at
 martin at -- Software Architect - OLPC