Impacts of disabling Automatic Power Management

Mikus Grinbergs mikus at bga.com
Sat Feb 11 17:57:08 EST 2012

> We shouldn't need to check whether there is network traffic when
> desiring to suspend.  If no process has run in N milliseconds, the
> kernel should autosuspend.  N should be tuned to avoid constantly
> suspending and then immediately reawakening, e.g. between packets in
> an active HTTP connection.

Aren't there situations where network traffic occurs without significant
"process" involvement?

I remember a couple of years back, when my XO-1 (if so enabled) would
suspend while I had a 100 MB ethernet transfer ongoing - I needed to
periodically press something on the keyboard to keep that XO-1 awake.

mikus