limits on ad-hoc connections

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Wed Feb 8 23:34:46 EST 2012

sridhar wrote:
 > On 9 February 2012 14:59, Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at gmail.com> wrote:
 > > More generally, when you have a central node (the AP) there's a node
 > > that can carry the accounting, and has the "authority" to say who's
 > > welcome and who's not.
 > >
 > > I don't know if 802.11a/b/g/n has a mechanism to reject association,
 > > or if it's a dirty hack with only giving a liminted number of DHCP
 > > leases.
 > >
 > > Either way,  ad-hoc peer model isn't well equipped for this limitation.
 >
 > Hmm I am thinking that my understanding of the ad-hoc implementation
 > might be incorrect.
 >
 > I was under the assumption that one XO acts as the ad-hoc host, and
 > the others connect to it. That made me wonder whether that host could
 > limit how many clients connect to it.
 >
 > What I gather from what you're saying is that there's more of a
 > peer-to-peer connection happening, similar to the old mesh on the
 > XO-1s. Or am I confusing my network layers?

think of it as all the XOs plugging into the same ethernet hub.  no
router needed, and they all see each other's traffic.  you just plug
in and start talking (of course to really do that, you'll need a
link-local address, or a static address, since there's probably no
DHCP).  it's quite similar to the mesh -- what the mesh adds is some
topology awareness and routing, so if A can see B and B can see C,
then B will forward packets from A to C.  that can't happen with
ad-hoc.

paul