limits on ad-hoc connections

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at
Wed Feb 8 22:59:37 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 8, 2012 at 10:39 PM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
<sridhar at> wrote:
>>> Can we impose a hard limit on the number of clients to prevent too
>>> many XOs connecting to a single ad-hoc session?
>> As James says... unfortunately no.
> This is possible on many wireless access points. Why isn't it possible
> on the XO's ad-hoc?
> Is it because WAPs do it by limiting DHCP leases, whereas ad-hoc uses
> link-local?

More generally, when you have a central node (the AP) there's a node
that can carry the accounting, and has the "authority" to say who's
welcome and who's not.

I don't know if 802.11a/b/g/n has a mechanism to reject association,
or if it's a dirty hack with only giving a liminted number of DHCP

Either way,  ad-hoc peer model isn't well equipped for this limitation.

 martin.langhoff at
 martin at -- Software Architect - OLPC