[OLPC-AU] limits on ad-hoc connections

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Feb 8 06:25:57 EST 2012

On Wed, Feb 08, 2012 at 10:16:53PM +1100, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> Ad-hoc connections only scale to a limited number of participants
> before problems begin to occur.

What are the problems you observe?  It may be that the problems you
observe are not due to the ad-hoc network, but due to something else as
well.

> What would be the maximum number of participants that an ad-hoc
> network can reliably handle?

There's no maximum that I know of.  A well placed set of laptops that
can hear each other, with no outside noise, can operate an ad-hoc
network to a quite large size.  One node will be the beacon.

Once you place traffic on the network, things will slow down.  Once the
slow down is enough, certain applications may fail.

> Can we impose a hard limit on the number of clients to prevent too
> many XOs connecting to a single ad-hoc session?

No, there is no control for that as far as I know.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/