Porting Sugar on Android (Ice cream sandwich)

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Tue Dec 11 14:43:48 EST 2012

Hi Rajiv,

your plan seems to have good goals, but is missing some understanding
of what you can and cannot do.

You cannot run Sugar (a Python-based window manager, based on
traditional Linux sw stack) on the Android stack. Way too different.

To reach your goals, however, you could try something like...

 - identify what good Android Apps exist that match Sugar Activities,
those you don' t have to port, just replace :-) (ie: don't port
Record!)

 - those Sugar Activities that don't have an Android counterpart,
reimplement them as Android apps

 - Implement a shell -- replacing the standard Android shell -- that
has the main features of Sugar shell

 - Implement some of the key services that make Sugar special: ad-hoc
auto-networking, collaboration stack, the Journal. The most important,
IMO, is the Journal, as Android's handling of "my files" is extremely
poor. All these services will need integration into the shell and
apps.

Alternatively, you can wait for Android/Linux stack convergence
projects (see Jolla / Sailfish) to mature. Maybe in a year or two
there are ways to run Sugar inside Android or Android Apps on a Linux
stack.

hth,