Will the XO-4 need nonfree firmware

Richard Stallman rms at gnu.org
Tue Dec 4 05:15:38 EST 2012

    > They would need to get an external USB network device.

    Are there completely free USB network devices, from your PoV?

The question is whether the device requires installation of
nonfree software.  Several years ago, when I used an XO,
I used a USB WiFi device which didn't require any.

I have not checked recently whether they are still made.

A "free USB network device" would mean something else -- a device
whose plans, including any preinstalled firmware, are released under a
free license.

We don't need to insist on that.  (I want to write an article about
the free hardware issue, but I don't have time to explain now.)  All
we need is a network device that can be used without installed nonfree
software.

    I am curious, why "if the cards are not easy to obtain"?

If they were easy to obtain, the machine without one would
specifically invite people get that card in order to make it complete.

--
Dr Richard Stallman
President, Free Software Foundation