[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Proposal: Contol-Panel packaging

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Thu Aug 9 22:20:33 EDT 2012

On 2 August 2012 21:06, Jerry Vonau <jvonau at shaw.ca> wrote:
> On Thu, 2012-08-02 at 09:53 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:
>> Do you have any form of proxy? A local transparent proxy would mean
>> 400 XOs still only download 800Kb over the link. There's lots of ways
>> to skin a cat.
>>

> We have no control over the network environment what so ever and need to
> work within the confines of what is available.

This is our primary constraint: we cannot install servers or proxies.

Schools in remote areas have latent/slow/expensive Internet links.
You'd think that a caching proxy is common sense. Unfortunately not :(

Furthermore, the newer wireless networks treat every client as
potentially hostile and hence prevent them from communicating with
each other. This also means that no collaboration can take place.

Sridhar

Sridhar Dhanapalan
Engineering Manager
One Laptop per Child Australia