Announcing Q3C05 for XO-1.5

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Thu Apr 12 11:31:44 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 1:43 AM, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> Jerry could also write a startup script that does these actions

All the startup (or shutdown) scripts I can think of that could return
the filesystem to a pristine condition... they also undo
customizations you may be wanting to retain.

- nuke everything from /home/olpc except activities, we may be
removing customizations (custom gnome background, or desktop icons,
for example)

- reset /etc to the pristine etc -- may be removing desired customizations

- reset / to the pristine OS filesystem -- may be removing desired
customizations

Booting into Sugar or GNOME for the first time has makes some changes
to the filesystem -- these change with each OS version, and they
change with additional sw, so they are hard to track. Installing
additional software, configuring things also makes changes to the
filesystem -- some intended, some "side-effects" you'd want to undo.

It's impossible to write a magic script that guesses what you want to
keep, and what you want to discard.

Unless until we get the driver sorted for that that USB-2.0 mind
reader James has been talking about.

So in the meantime, do tell us what your frustrations with OOB are.

cheers,

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions