Announcing Q3C05 for XO-1.5

James Cameron quozl at
Thu Apr 12 01:43:02 EDT 2012

On Thu, Apr 12, 2012 at 03:10:16PM +1000, Sridhar Dhanapalan wrote:
> On 9 April 2012 13:25, James Cameron <quozl at> wrote:
> > - add new fs-save command [1] for preparing an image copy of internal
> > ?storage,
> >
> > [1] ?
> How useful is this for a layperson to clone an XO's setup across a
> school/classroom?

Not useful.  The layperson would require training in and use of USB drives, and then once the
image is obtained they would need to be shown how to run zhashfs in

We do not have a program available at the moment for the reverse of
fs-copy, that is, reading an image from USB drive and writing it to internal
storage.  It would take about 15 minutes to run, as opposed to the usual
5 minutes for fs-update.

This would not be a difficult program to write, estimated four hours
effort.  But I don't think we have a need for it at the moment, and our
deployment support team does not wish to encourage imaging.  I'd have to
get some buy-in.

Both steps could be wrapped in a boot script to avoid typing by the

> Is this a replacement for ?

No, not entirely.  It is a slow replacement for the "Capture Internal
microSD" step

> Do we still need to manually mitigate the side effects?

Jerry could also write a startup script that does these actions if the
serial number changes since last boot.  But that would have an
unpleasant side-effect of losing all saved data if either (a) the serial
number can't be read, or (b) the internal microSD card is moved to
another unit as part of a repair.  Making /home/olpc a symlink to
/home/$SERIAL_NUMBER might be useful.

James Cameron