AFR: Sony's 2-screen "Tablet P": a good idea gone wrong

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 19:47:13 EDT 2012

On Mon, Apr 2, 2012 at 18:33, John Gilmore <gnu at toad.com> wrote:
>  screens don't look like 1 screen.  I excerpted freely below; see
> the link for the entire story. --gnu]
>
> http://www.afr.com/f/free/technology/digitallife/g_ZWzfPcJsePV9VdQfxY9w1H
> But the Tablet P is
> running Android, and neither Android nor most Android apps have a clue
> how to use the dual display.

Android 3.0 (Honeycomb)'s Fragments API sounds like it could handle
this; the Sony P runs 3.0 and is getting 4.0 (Ice Cream Sandwich).
"Because a tablet's screen is much larger than that of a handset,
there's more room to combine and interchange UI components. ... When
designing your application to support both tablets and handsets, you
can reuse your fragments in different layout configurations to
optimize the user experience based on the available screen space"
http://developer.android.com/guide/topics/fundamentals/fragments.html
No doubt Google has a long way to go to make fragments smart enough to
handle dual screens like this or a smartphone with HDMI out to a huge
TV. And then apps have to be updated to take advantage of fragments.

--
=S Page