OFW unsecure kernel/initramfs load from zip file

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Sep 22 11:55:45 EDT 2011

On Wed, Sep 21, 2011 at 11:39 PM, Mitch Bradley <wmb at laptop.org> wrote:
> Yeah, what James said.
>
> That said, in most cases the mount/unmount penalty is not bad, because in
> cases where it was, I did some caching to make it less onerous.  Cases in
> point include JFFS2, where mount is inherently horrible, so I cache the
> result of scanning the whole NAND surface, and the network, where I cache
> the DHCP result.
>
> If you have problems, tell me.  My intention is that subsequent mounts
> should be fast enough.

Great, thanks for explaining. I was indeed concerned about speed, but
I just tested the worst case scenario: single-partition XO-1 jffs2
boot with this olpc.fth loading kernel and initramfs from zip files,
side-by-side against an unmodified one running otherwise the same
setup, and the difference is indeed really small (I guesstimate less
than half a second).

I assume you've had a quick look at the file I attached - no obvious
errors or problems that jump out at you?

Thanks,
Daniel