11.3.0 build 5 released, for XO-1.75, XO-1.5 and XO-1

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at gmail.com
Thu Sep 15 06:08:09 EDT 2011

On Thu, Sep 15, 2011 at 4:44 AM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:

> > http://build.laptop.org/11.3.0/os5/
>
> Thanks Peter.
>
> It would be neat if someone can test the olpc-update from build 4
> (*not* any previous one) to this one, with
>
> sudo olpc-update 11.3.0_xo1.75-5
>
> as documented:
> http://wiki.laptop.org/go/11.3.0

Created USB stick with os4.zd4
Booted 1.75 to OFW
Performed fs-update u:\os4.zd4
Performed reboot
Firmware was updated to Q4B09 on boot
Performed shutdown
Removed USB stick
Powered on and started to sugar (still not pretty boot) :-)
Noted that there is no power savings applet in the control panel settings
joined WPA2 network
started Terminal
logged in as root (su -)
Performed sudo olpc-update 11.3.0_xo1.75-5 (start time 05:36)
Message appears: "Downloading contents of build 11.3.0_xo1.75-5."
Message appears:"Updating to version hash 85d9a6a379a1cc73a2519bdfd9605347"
Message appears:"Trying irsync_pristine update from rsync://
updates.laptop.org/build-11.3.0_xo1.75-5
Message appears:"- Fetching contents."
Message appears"- Performing incremental rsync." (noted that screen dims a
bit after about every 2 mins in this process, but that touching the touchpad
brought it back to full brightness)
Message appears:"- Cleaning up (trac #5051)"
Message appears:"Verifying update."
Message appears:"Installing update in
/versions/{pristine,run}/85d9a6a379a1cc73a2519bdfd9605347
Message appears::Cleaning up..."
Message appears:"Deleting old pristine version 4"
Message appears: "Deleting old contents for version 4"
Message appears:""Update succeeded!"
Message appears:"Restart your system to apply the update"
(FYI The end time is now 05:49)
Performed reboot
seemed to start pretty boot but went quickly to text, message appeared about
purging previous versions with slight delay - went by too fast for me to
catch :-)
About my computer shows Build 5 customized, Sugar 0.93.4 - reconnected auto
to the WPA2 network
Performed shutdown
Powered on - seemed to start pretty boot with x and the first dot, went back
to text mode, booted very quickly  Start chime is now nice and clean, but
there is still the scratchy sound after.
Started Terminal (prompt in pulsing icon is a ">" symbol, the the prompt in
Terminal is a "$")
logged in as root (su -)
Performed yum install cheese
Transaction was successful installing cheese and cheese-libs dependency
version 1:2.31.91-2.frc14.armv5tel
Switched to Gnome
WPA2 network did not autoconnect, (dint expect it to) -  but connects
manually without issue just as in previosu versions
Started Cheese
Built in camera works like a charm
Inserted blank FAT32 8Gb SD card - automounts and shows contents, unmounted
card, but left in machine
Performed shutdown
Rebooted - does text boot, boots into Gnome, autoconnects to WPA2,
automounts SD card
Perfomed shutdown
Going to make coffee

All in all, a pretty satisfying experience!!!

Next ??

:-)

Cheers

KG