[ANNOUNCE] 0.94 schedule update: still on track

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Sep 8 02:54:25 EDT 2011

Hi,

we are still on track in our 0.94 development cycle [1]. The release is
three weeks away from now, we plan to release the 28th of September!

We have been entering string freeze now, which means: "No string changes
may be made without confirmation from the localization team and
notification to the release team" [2]. This freeze is meant to help the
translators finish their work and to not provide them with a moving
target. Now is the time we will see a lot of commits from our great
translators community, Activity developers please watch out for those
and do make releases to make that work available.

There have been one interesting string change in the last week: there
are two entries in the sugar.po that translate the same string
('Remove') but where the context is different. This has been marked now
using pgettext. Chris has pulled that change to Pootle and all langs
sugar.po have been refreshed. An example can be seen at [3][4]. Please
give feedback if that addition was helpful to do a better translation or
if anything can be improved.

Manuel is currently working on polishing up the tabbing experience in
Browse. There is one string change and a significant UI change [5]. Both
need to be discussed following the exception process [6].

So what's left to be done besides translating?

Right, bug fixing and testing!

I have been listing Features and changes on the pre-release-notes [7]
which should give a good sense of the bigger changes that needs testing.
General functionality testing like (networking, saving etc) are of
course welcome. I will add a list as well of the bugs we fixed so
potential regressions in those areas can be identified. Watch out for
more details here. There are instructions on the page as well how to
test and where to file bugs.

Three more weeks to go, let's make this a rock-solid, innovative and
fun-to-use release.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/0.94/Roadmap#Schedule