powerd-dbus network extension

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Tue Sep 6 11:36:47 EDT 2011

daniel wrote:
 > On Wed, Aug 3, 2011 at 7:07 PM, Daniel Drake <dsd at laptop.org> wrote:
 > > Hi Paul,
 > >
 > > For 11.3.0 I'd like to implement a solution for the issue where powerd
 > > idle-suspends while wifi connections are being established, causing
 > > connection failures and other undesirable activity.
 > >
 > > The solution I'm thinking of isn't ideal in that it adds a mini-daemon
 > > alongside powerd.
 >
 > Now implemented, tested and ready for review:
 > http://dev.laptop.org/git/users/dsd/powerd

hi daniel -- thanks for all the work on this.

initial thoughts:

 - is there anything special about the network inhibit?  i wonder if
    we should future-proof this by making it a generic
    "inhibit-suspend"/"allow-suspend" message?  it might have other
    uses.  but in that case, the requests have to nest correctly.  so
    maybe something like:

	inhibit-suspend)
	    : $(( no_suspend++ ))
	    ;;

	allow-suspend)
	    : $(( no_suspend = (no_suspend > 0) ? no_suspend - 1 : 0 ))
	    ;;

    there may be value, though, in knowing who sent the message, if
    only for debugging -- that information can be passed as a second
    argument on the event.  (the first argument should be a timestamp.)

 - does powerd-dbus always die correctly and cleanly when powerd dies?

paul

p.s. i think i eliminated the only instance of this kind of thing by
    changing the inhibitor to a counter, above, but for the future:  i
    prefer shell booleans to either have (some) value or not:
     so, for example:
	network_suspend_ok=true
     and:
	network_suspend_ok=;