development environment

Kevin Gordon kgordon420 at
Sun Sep 4 09:05:55 EDT 2011

2011/9/3 manuel quiñones <manuq at>

> 2011/9/2 Martin Langhoff <martin.langhoff at>:
> > On Fri, Sep 2, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Gary Martin <garycmartin at>
> wrote:
> >> For Python work on an XO (for Activity and/or Sugar hacking) I find all
> the extras I need from a regular build is to yum install git, vim and pylint
> — usually the first habitual reflex thing I do after reflashing a fresh
> build :)
> >
> > Yep - for python/activity work really all you need is already there. I
> > add emacs to Gary's list.
> Yes.  I like to use emacs inside Terminal activity, running it as emacs -nw
Thanks gentlemen. I have provisioned two with

The two of them are  now already engaged in a fierce vim vs emacs war :-)
These guys have already finished 1st year uni courses doing Java and Python
in an Ubuntu, Eclipse with plug-in environment , so this should be fun to

They figure it will take a week or two of playing before any real work
begins, and I'm not talking about refactoring Hello World.  :-)

As I said, they may end up back on their Lenovos to the actual coding; but
since they've never seen the XO end product  or a Fedora distribution for
where we'd like them to 'land' their applications, I think this is

Cheers and thanks again for your time and suggestions.