11.3.0 release candidate 4 (build 883) released
garycmartin at googlemail.com
Mon Oct 31 14:41:21 EDT 2011
On 29 Oct 2011, at 22:28, Daniel Drake wrote:
> We're pleased to announce our 4th release candidate of our new
> 11.3.0 software release.
> Information and installation instructions can be found here:
> Quick links for those who know which files need to be grabbed and save
> to USB disks:
> This is a signed release candidate that can be installed on all XOs,
> even those with security enabled.
> We're looking for testing and feedback on all aspects of the system.
I've just been testing Telescope-12 on the XO-1.75 running the new 883 build, first the good news, the camera is showing up correctly in Record and Telescope, fab! :) Now the not so hot:
- While in Telescope-12, clicking the digital zoom toolbar button completely locked up the XO-1.75 (re-testing with an XO-1 the digital zoom works ok).
- After some waiting and many attempted keyboard shortcuts, I decided to power down. Clicking the power hardware button did not trigger the usual shut down screen during this particular lockup case; clicking the power button twice (assuming it might just be the gfx that had locked-up) had no effect; finally I held down the power button for some seconds until the power led flashes and then the hard powers off.
- On reboot the Journal now shows 3 corrupt entries (see attached screen shot) with no name and unknown metadata. None of the three entries allow invoking the details view or raise their palette so can not be erased via the Sugar Journal UI. The three corrupt entries will be an entry for Browse where I visited ASLO to download telescope and then quit Browse; the downloaded Telescope-12 bundle; and the instance entry for the Telescope that was running when the XO locked up.
Given the nature of the hard power off I understand why some data would not have been synched to disk, but just wanted to raise this case here. I guess the actionable items might be:
1) fixing Telescope-12's digital zoom not to lock up an XO-1.75 (I don't have an XO-1.5 to test but I re-checked on an XO-1 which still worked fine).
2) Seeing why the XO-1.75 hard crashed, I'm assuming something camera driver related may have borked badly (I do have a serial cable here for un-bricking an XO-1.75 but don't know my way around that side of things very well).
3) Making Datastore more robust to corrupt entries; and/or perhaps just not displaying corrupt entries in the Journal UI (assuming they can be tested for reliably); and/or allowing them be erased via the Journal UI; and/or improving the way Journal displays a corrupt entry (broken document icon, fake title name).
I'll hang onto this datastore as is, for a little while, in case someone wants to explore.
> Thanks for any help you can offer, and for all the feedback that was
> received throughout development.
> Our scheduled release date is November 1st.
> Please review the "Known problems" section of the release notes. Some
> documented issues are carried over from previous releases, but others
> are new and are things that we will aim to fix in the few weeks before
> release, including:
> Sound does not work in many activities (ticket #11296).
> There is no suspend/resume support yet.
> There is slight mouse cursor visual corruption in Sugar, and the
> mouse cursor in GNOME appears odd, but is otherwise functional.
> XO-1 users: we have identified a bug in the firmware releases shipped
> during 11.3.0 development and in earlier 11.3.0 release candidate
> builds 880 and 881.
> Affected versions are Q2E46 and Q2E47. You can check which version you
> are running in the Sugar 'Settings' dialog.
> Unfortunately, a bug in the firmware update code means that these
> firmware versions will not automatically upgrade to newer versions. We
> have fixed this in Q2E48 (included in 11.3.0 build 882 onwards), but
> existing users of Q2E46 and Q2E47 will need to update manually. Sorry
> about that. The procedure is outlined here:
> Ask for help on these lists if needed.
> Users of 11.2.0 and previous (who will be running older firmware
> releases such as Q2E45) are not affected, and XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 users
> are similarly unaffected.
> Changes since build 882:
> Camera use under Scratch on XO-1.5 no longer exhibits bad colors.
> Upgrades from 11.2 will now prompt the user to update activities.
> An XO-1.75 "third dot" boot hang is hopefully fixed.
> uvc USB webcam driver is now available on XO-1.75
> XO-1.75 kernel update includes some audio improvements - but we know
> there are still issues.
> XO-1 screen backlight will turn itself off upon inactivity again
> XO-1.5 and XO-1.75 firmware updates included.
> Closed tickets:
> #11357 Boot freezing on third clock dot
> #11297 Scratch: Camera quality in xo-1.5 is worst than in os874
> #11304 11.3.0 build 8 is not dimming, powering off the screen backlight on XO-1
> #11354 UVC webcam driver not available on XO-1.75
> #11355 No software-update suggestion/prompt after an olpc-update
> #11358 New XO-1.5 firmware Q3B22
> #11360 New XO-1.75 firmware Q4C02
> Devel mailing list
> Devel at lists.laptop.org
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Size: 29048 bytes
Desc: not available
More information about the Devel