[BULK] Re: harvesting energy

DJ Delorie dj at delorie.com
Fri Oct 28 22:34:30 EDT 2011

> Good point.  Thanks.  It's even worse than that.  In the power mode, the
> Kill-a-Watt only shows whole watts, no fraction.

It's worse than that.  IIRC mine only shows 6, 12, or 18 watts at that
low a value.  Useless for really low power.  I ended up using a test
board for a switching power supply to measure current and voltage at
the power jack.

> (The technology for this sort of thing must be reasonably solid.  My
> new electric meter has an LCD rather than a spinning wheel and
> dials.)

I did a 16-channel power meter board using the tech they put in house
electric meters: http://www.delorie.com/electronics/powermeter/ -
24-bit DACs anyone?  Serious stuff in those chips, assuming you want
to measure mostly accumulated watt-seconds.