opportunistic suspend article on LWN

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Thu Oct 20 14:03:55 EDT 2011

peter wrote:
 > I know we do this (or similar) on the XOs, it seems there's a
 > discussion on it upstream. Not sure if its worth reviewing to ensure
 > our requirements are met as part of that. I know it won't affect us
 > now but we know its something that will likely come and bite us later,
 > might be worthwhile if that was in a good way. It might not even
 > impact us :)
 >
 > https://lwn.net/Articles/463517/

thanks.  it will certainly affect us, certainly in a good way.  the
facilities for suspend management are vastly improved in newer
kernels, and we're planning on taking advantage of that for 1.75, and
hopefully soon for 1.5 and xo-1 as well.  when dust from the thread
being discussed by corbet settles, we'll start planning on taking
advantage of those facilities too.  given that our current
implementation is based on the prevously available rocks and stones
held together with bits of chewing gum and string that we provided,
i'm not too worried that we can't do better with what's coming along.

paul
 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org