serial numbers on new motherboards

Sridhar Dhanapalan sridhar at laptop.org.au
Mon Oct 17 01:47:27 EDT 2011

I'm wondering what is the recommended process for changing an XO
motherboard. The hardware side is relatively straightforward. However,
new motherboards come with blank serial numbers.

What is the impact of leaving the SN# in the mfg-data blank? My
understanding is that parts of the XO OS first-boot setup and
interactions with an XS are derived from the serial number.

We have devised a method (using an olpc.fth script) to write the
serial number of the XO chassis to the mfg-data on the board. What is
the method used in other deployments?

Thanks,
Sridhar

Sridhar Dhanapalan