11.3.0 release candidate 2 (build 881) released

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Thu Oct 13 17:01:01 EDT 2011

Hi,

We're pleased to announce our second release candidate of our new
11.3.0 software release.

Information and installation instructions can be found here:
http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Release_notes/11.3.0

Quick links for those who know which files need to be grabbed and save
to USB disks:
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1/os/candidate/881/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.5/os/candidate/881/
http://download.laptop.org/xo-1.75/os/candidate/881/

This is a signed release candidate that can be installed on all XOs,
even those with security enabled.

We're looking for testing and feedback on all aspects of the system.
Thanks for any help you can offer, and for all the feedback that was
received throughout development.

Our scheduled release date is November 1st.

Please review the "Known problems" section of the release notes. Some
documented issues are carried over from previous releases, but others
are new and are things that we will aim to fix in the few weeks before
release, including:

XO-1.75
   Sound does not work in many activities (ticket #11296).
   There is no suspend/resume support yet.
   There is slight mouse cursor visual corruption in Sugar, and the
mouse cursor in GNOME appears odd, but is otherwise functional.
   Sometimes, part of the screen may not redraw correctly, such as
Sugar's neighborhood view after dismissing the wireless security
dialog (ticket #11273)
   Kernel messages are not sent over the serial console when booting
in secure mode (ticket #11315).

Changes since build 880:

XO-1.75 audio is more functional. Some activities now work well (e.g.
Memorize), some now work somewhat (e.g. Browse/totem), and some now
encounter different errors from before (e.g. Etoys). Some sounds that
get played still sound bad (depending on their format and sample rate)
- we're still working on it.

XO-1 audio now works again in secure mode.

Minor activity updates to Abacus, FotoToon, TamTam, both Wikipedias
and Words, mostly for translations.

Keyboard autorepeat is disabled again in Sugar, and a bug related to
filtering/coloring of icons on the neighborhood view was fixed.

A few misbehaving keys on the mechanical "high school" keyboard model
no longer misbehave.

Closed tickets:
#11311 Secure boot makes Linux audio unusable on XO-1
#11175 some keyboard keys repeat when they should not
#11264 Spanish HS KB layout definition may be incorrect
#11305 Update wikipedia and wikipediaEn activities in 11.3
#11309 Add Abacus 24 in 11.3.0 build
#11310 Add Fototoon 10 in 11.3.0 build
#11324 Update Words activity to version 13 in 11.3.0
#11325 All the TamTam activities in version 59 are named TamTamSuite