11.3.0 build 8 released, for XO-1.75, XO-1.5 and XO-1

Bernie Innocenti bernie at sugarlabs.org
Mon Oct 3 00:49:25 EDT 2011

On Sun, 2011-10-02 at 23:10 +0100, Peter Robinson wrote:

> Yes, I discovered this week we don't ship any form of ntpdate or means
> of setting the hw clock via ntp with the XO releases,

This was discussed a few months ago on sugar-devel. There's a concern
that NTP could be abused to reset the system clock of stolen laptops
back in time, thus preventing the expiration of an existing activation
lease.

Of course, one could also use the date command and hwclock to do the
same effect, so the extra precaution of disabling ntp really only makes
sense for deployments that take away root access.

--
Bernie Innocenti
Sugar Labs Infrastructure Team