[Sugar-devel] Potential volunteer offering technical writing

Martin Langhoff martin.langhoff at gmail.com
Wed Oct 5 09:41:29 EDT 2011

On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 1:12 AM, Chris Leonard <cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com> wrote:
> L10n of long-form content is an area where I think there are some
> excellent bits and pieces, but I'm not convinced that there is a
> really nice end-to-end solution yet.  I think very highly of
> FLOSSManuals as a book publishing platform, but was less than
> impressed with it's L10n workflow.

AFAIK FLOSSManuals software infra is being worked on, and that
involves (at least in part) Douglas Bagnall who used to work with OLPC
on the School Server.

> I am happy that several of the
> Sugar OLPC boks have been translated, but these have been time-focused
> efforts requiring a lot of coordination and not amenable to the slower
> accumulation of collaborative work that characterizes Poolte L10n
> work.

Well... for translating something long-form, I do think you need an
initial focussed translation effort, perhaps followed by piecemeal
maintenance. Prose style and cohesion do need that initial translation
to be done by one person or a small well coordinated group.

I agree with all your other points :-)

 martin.langhoff at gmail.com
 - ask interesting questions