[Sugar-devel] Potential volunteer offering technical writing

Chris Leonard cjlhomeaddress at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 18:25:12 EDT 2011

All,

In any refresh of the XO manual (Help Activity),  I would very much
appreciate if some structural choices could be made to facilitate the
internationalization of the text so that it can be converted into PO
files and posted on Pootle for translation into a renewed Help
Activity.  That is not to say a pretty web-version would not also be
nice.

An ideal format option would include producing a simple plain text
version with paragraphs separated by a whitespace line (easily parsed
by txt2po) and back converted with po2txt.

I have had very little success with the html2po tool from the
Translate Toolkit when  I explored parsing the current Help Activity's
html pages for i18n and L10n.  Nor have I had any great success with
parsing the FLOSSManuals version.  On the other hand, txt2po and
po2txt has been working well for the Waveplace lesson plans.

I have long considered it a great shame that the Help Activity was
only in English, and although the XO manual on FLOSSManuals has seen
translation into a few languages, I fear that the tools for long-form
content L10n are just not as functional as Pootle or as well used by
our L10n community.

cjl