Re: Article: Why wireless mesh networks won’t save us from censorship

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Nov 29 07:31:07 EST 2011

On Tue, Nov 29, 2011 at 4:32 AM, Carlos Nazareno <object404 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Interesting article from someone who's tried it with the best of
> people as a reactionary piece to Reddit's plans to put up a Darknet
> due to SOPA.
>
> Not being my area at all, what do you guys think?

Nice summary of many of the problems we had supporting mesh on the
OLPC. But our goals were a bit different as well: there was the goal
of connecting the stray laptop that was too far from an access point
to connect and there was the goal of connecting a group of learners
"under a tree". We never had a particularly efficient solution to the
former goal. As the article suggests, a more deliberate, planned link,
such as adding a repeater or two was an easier, more reliable
solution. Ad Hoc works quite well in the latter case. Which is what we
are using today. Live and learn.

-walter

> Why wireless mesh networks won’t save us from censorship
> Or “why the reddit ‘Darknet Plan’ is a fun but misguided solution to
> the wrong problem”.
> http://sha.ddih.org/2011/11/26/why-wireless-mesh-networks-wont-save-us-from-censorship/
>
> Do the same problems/principles apply to the XOs?
>
> Thanks.
>
> -Naz
>
> --
> carlos nazareno