Ready-made kernel, XO-1, Xubuntu, and initrd questions

James Cameron quozl at
Sat Nov 26 06:51:52 EST 2011

On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 11:40:21AM +0000, Alec Muffett wrote:
> I have a G1G1-era XO-1 and am trying to put Xubuntu onto it, using
> Virtualbox to do the setup and build on OSX, and then dd'ing the raw
> image to a 4Gb SD-card for booting. I'm using the current
> Xubuntu-alternate CD to build the image, and then approximately
> following the Wiki at
> regards getting a
> kernel installed.

I never really liked that method, because it was imaging an existing
installation over to an XO from a virtual machine ... seemed difficult
to reproduce in an automated fashion.

So I wrote my own scripts in September last year that built a
filesystem using debootstrap:

This used two kernels, one for XO-1, one for XO-1.5, with an olpc.fth
that decided between them.

The initrd was included and worked fine.

default.conf is where the kernels are specified.

However, I only ever booted from USB on XO-1.  The initrd might not have
liked the SD card slot.

James Cameron