can't boot XO-1 from USB, doc needed

Daniel Drake dsd at laptop.org
Tue Nov 22 16:22:45 EST 2011

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 6:12 PM, S Page <skierpage at gmail.com> wrote:
> I wanted to try 11.3.0 but my XO-1 prints scary JFFS2 warnings before
> "Boot has failed, sleeping forever.".  (After four years, no more
> olpc-update for me.)
>
> I'd like to boot off USB and look at my XO-1's NAND filesystem. But
> the wiki instructions for booting off USB[1] were out of date. I've
> updated them to de-emphasize the .ext3.img that's no longer built, but
> can't find instructions for what's in current builds. There have been
> mail threads and bug reports on the subject, recently "11.2.0 XO-1
> boot from USB or SD doesn't work for me"[2] which wound up providing
> workarounds [3] without explaining how to get started. I think there
> was a more recent thread but I can't find it.

Sorry that this boot path is a bit neglected. I've made some changes
for 12.1.0 which should make it a little easier and solve one of the
core issues behind this, but it is still a bit of a nasty process for
USB since it requires you to arrange the files in a special way (or
you may wish to take another approach like the one you found in this
thread, which is perhaps a little less horrifying). I posted info
here: http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/11233#comment:8

Thanks,
Daniel