automatic backlight control

Paul Fox pgf at laptop.org
Mon Nov 21 12:11:19 EST 2011

[ resending to cc: the lists ]

dj wrote:

 > Can the keyboard backlight control have an extra step at the end,
 > going trom "bright" to "dim" to "off/color" to "off/mono" ?
 >
 > Then the auto-backlight would be allowed to bring it down to
 > off/color, and the user could go the extra step to off/mono.
 > (assuming, based on my scant knowledge of the technology, that
 > backlight+mono doesn't make sense here).

perhaps.  in practice, i suspect most users simply hold the dim key
and let it auto-repeat until the backlight is off.

backlight + mono actually does make sense, and has been requested
in the past.  because there's no color averaging going on, you get
the full 1200x900 resolution, instead of something effectively less.
so reading an ebook, for instance, you might prefer it.

paul

 paul fox, pgf at laptop.org