Site Down

HALL,Brian C brian.hall02 at
Fri Nov 18 05:46:05 EST 2011

Good Day,

I recently installed an XS server(OLPC-School-Server-0.6-i386.iso) and as  I was trying to do an update I got the error "repomod not found" I thought it was the proxy but when I tried to access the site at home iam was still unable to access the site. It seems to be down.

The issue is that iam trying to install the following

1) OpenVPN
3)IP Traf

Do you know where I can get these packages without doing the yum install openvpn and so forth? If so is there an easy way to install them; especially openvpn.

Thanks in advance,
Brian Hall
-----Original Message-----
From: server-devel-bounces at [mailto:server-devel-bounces at] On Behalf Of Jerry Vonau
Sent: Thursday, November 17, 2011 11:13 PM
To: Kevin Gordon
Cc: Sridhar Dhanapalan; XS Devel; OLPC Devel; OLPC Australia list
Subject: Re: [Server-devel] Host AP on XO-1.75 and XO-3

Hi all:

On Wed, 2011-10-05 at 08:09 -0400, Kevin Gordon wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 4:25 AM, Peter Robinson <pbrobinson at>
> wrote:
>         On Wed, Oct 5, 2011 at 8:51 AM, Sridhar Dhanapalan
>         <sridhar at> wrote:
>         > Just wondering whether the XO-1.75 and XO-3 will be capable
>         of hosting
>         > a wireless network.
>         >
>         > I'm asking because we are interested in using an XO as a
>         lightweight XS server.
>         The XO 1.75 uses the exact same wifi module as the 1.5 so the
>         functionality is the same, and so you'll be able to on the
>         1.75,
>         there's still discussion on the OS for the 3.0 but then I'm
>         not sure
>         how usable a tablet would be as a server anyway.
> If I could be so bold as to posit to the community:  I'm not sure
> whether the request as stated, and answer as given, is actually the
> case, in an out-of-the box, especially  if you have a mixed XO
> environment.  If by acting as an AP, you mean appearing on the
> neighbourhood view as an AP, and not a peer, and then providing a
> shared internet connection, in my experience, that really isn't
> provided by a vanilla install of the XO software, even on the 1.5.

True, think some of the kernel modules are missing for iptables support.

> Once all the XO buddies (XO 1 and 1.5) atttach to a 'real' AP, all
> machines on that AP can see each other, and get out to the Internet
> through the AP's running as a router.  In the other case, in a mixed
> XO1 and XO1.5 environment where everyone attaches to a single XO 1.5
> on the ad-hoc network, without some custom routing entries, I can't
> see it providing a shared internet connection.  Not to say it cant be
> done, but I haven't found it to work that way out of the box.

Sugar forces the use of link-local addresses for ad-hoc networks, doesn't even try to use dhcp once connected to the XO based AP, but while in gnome the network behaves normally. This is a real PITA if you want to use a ad-hoc network with a dhcp server to handle the ip address assignment, and thus the routing to the gateway. This should be better with NM-9 and sugar 95.2 but I haven't tried yet.

> So, I guess it depends on what you mean by 'using an XO as a
> lightweight XS server', and whether you will install your own O/S and
> a subset of the existing XS code on the 1.75,  pretty much like you
> would have too to on the1.5 to get it to act like a real AP and router
> and server.  Putting a wireless router an AP in the middle with a
> default route to another XO  on a separate subnet running some XS
> server code that in turn connects  out maybe the USB ethernet port to
> the WAN might work.  Without some real  router protocols active,
> hairpinning issues will also arise if you try to just hook back to the
> same subnet.

That is just some routing and dns... :/

> So bottom line (unless I'm way out of the loop in ancient history -
> which sometimes happens) , is that from what Peter is saying, if you
> already have an acceptable infrastucture which is currently working on
> an XO 1.5, then there is no reason for it not to work on a 1.75.
> However it would be my prediction that if you were hoping to have a
> vanilla XO 1.75 now run as a WAP, that may still not be as simple as
> you want.

Not yet, but I have some work in progress.

Server-devel mailing list
Server-devel at

No virus found in this message.
Checked by AVG -