can't boot XO-1 from USB, doc needed

S Page skierpage at gmail.com
Mon Nov 7 19:58:16 EST 2011

Thanks for the suggestions!

On Mon, Nov 7, 2011 at 16:23, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 07, 2011 at 04:12:50PM -0800, S Page wrote:
>> I wanted to try 11.3.0 but my XO-1 prints scary JFFS2 warnings before
>> "Boot has failed, sleeping forever."
>
> That sounds fixable.  Can you describe how you got to this point?

I turned on XO-1 that I had upgraded to 11.2.0 earlier, it failed to
boot. I might have run commands to delete stuff to free up disk space.
I transcribed some errors are below. I installed the q2f04rd firmware
from USB and it didn't help.

I'll try the Tiny Core Linux, and dig up an SD card for booting 11.3.0.

>> * Can I jump through hoops to mount the JFFS2 .img and transfer its
>> contents (cpio?) to an ext3 partition?
>
> Yes, except it isn't an .img.

% file /opt/download/os883.img
/opt/download/os883.img: Linux jffs2 filesystem data little endian

and Google produces complicated ways to mount it.

> Yes, the .tar.lzma does not have boot files in /boot, you need to create
> the symlink to the versioned boot directory.

 % sudo ln -s versions/pristine/883/boot boot

and now
  ok boot u:\boot\vmlinuz
Kernel startup progresses for a bit, but then prints
  VFS: Cannot open root device "(null)" or unknown-block(0,0)
  Please append a correct "root=" boot option: here are the available
partitions:
  Kernel panic - not syncing: VFS: Unable to mount root fs on unknown-block(0,0)

so presumably I have to make these mystical olpc.fth or boot command
changes or GRUB modifications. Any documentation for that?
[Digression: I know people have done this, please folks do the right
thing and write something on the wiki.]

== Rough copy of the errors I get booting from NAND flash ==

  Hello children of the world!
  (pause)
  JFFS2 error: (136) jffs2_build_inode_pass1: child dir "root" (ino
#340448) of dir ino #340447 appears to be a hard link
  JFFS2 notice: (136) blah blah xattr built
  dracut: Mounted root filesystem /dev/mtdblock0
  JFFS2 warning: (146) jffs2_get_inode_nodes: Eep. No valid nodes for
ino #340448
  [ JFFS2 warning: (158) jffs2_do_read_inode_internal: no data nodes
found for ino #340448
  iget() failed for ino #340448
  ls: /sysroot/versions/run/af5b6xxx: Input/output error
  purging old versions, boot may be slightly delayed...
  JFFS error again
  mkdir: cannot create directory' /sysroot/versions/run/af5b6xxx':
Input/output error

Again thanks.
--
=S Page